Friday, April 20, 2007

Print When Really Need To

Recently, I got in touch with a friend that I haven't met for some 3 years now.

I wrote to him at his office, a medium tier law firm in England. His reply came back within the hour.

His e-mail had the often seen disclaimer on unintended recipients and confidential content: "This email and any attachment is intended for use only by specified addressees and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not an intended recipient, please delete the original and any copy of this message and notify the writer by email or telephone. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused."

But what was refreshing about the e-mail was this one line in bold green:

"Please consider the environment - do you really
need to print this?"


I was captivated by this line. From time to time, I have sought to encourage my friends and colleagues to reduce their use of printing paper.

The odd recycling campaign and the periodic reminder have had limited success. In the absence of such campaigns or reminders, people just tend to go back to their old wasteful habits.

But here is an organisation - quite clearly a socially responsible one - which is consciously championing care for the environment.

Instead of incorporating a corporate slogan or tagline in their default header or footer, they are prompting others to re-think their use of paper.

Can you imagine the effect of receiving such a constant reminder from your colleagues, competitors, clients, suppliers or friends?

At least to me, in the technology-driven world we live in today, there can be no better way to encourage others to care for the environment on a daily basis.

Do spare a thought for our environment.

Happiness,
Dharmendra Yadav

Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is awesome. Every scrap of paper that I have in my home.. I recycle. From the back of the battery packages, coke/cereal boxes, and even the inside of packages like if you buy a new portable cd player and it has a paper backing or paper insert, I throw it into my recycle box. And then at the end of the week I just walk it down to the school recycable bin.