Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Giving Feedback To Others

A colleague recently asked me about how to give feedback effectively to another person.

One way to give feedback to a person is by answering the following questions and sending it directly to the person concerned:

1. On a scale of 1 (low score) to 10 (high score), how do I rate your performance?

2. What are three things that I think is positive about your performance?

3. What is the one thing that I think you should focus on improving?

4. What will you need to do to get a perfect score of "10"?

I have often found this to be an effective way of giving solicited / unsolicited feedback that is welcomed by the other person.

The above questions compel me to say positive things about the other person while focusing on one key area of improvement. Best practices can also be shared with the person about how to work towards the perfect score.

It is important when giving such feedback to focus on facts so that one can be as objective as reasonably possible. And it is also important that one give such feedback regularly.

Happiness,
Dharmendra Yadav

No comments: