Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Surround Yourself With Positive People

Tonight, I had dinner with a friend, who overwhelmed me with his negative baggage. He shared with me his hatred for Yucks (not his real name).

He blames Yucks for ruining his life, and causing his family distress. He then asked me, "How can I get back at Yucks?"

I replied, "You can't. Why don't you just ignore Yucks, get him out of your system and get on with life?"

He responded, "Easier said than done."

My friend is deep in a sea of negativity. He cannot focus on anything else other than Yucks. He is obsessed by the idea of vengeance, which means he is likely to sink deeper into the sea of negativity.

The sea of negativity is an area where all of us can fall into. In order to stay out of it, we need a plank to stay afloat and see beyond the sea of negativity. And the plank can come in many forms. For example, the company of positive people.

My former boss used to meet one of his friends regularly. Every time he met this friend, the friend would tell him a whole list of negative things. After a while, he started getting negative.

My former boss explained to his friend how increasingly negative he was becoming. He decided to meet this friend less regularly and sought the company of more positive people. Slowly, the support from his more positive friends made my former boss more positive again.

Likewise, I told my friend to find his plank in the form of more positive friends, unless he wishes to continue sinking deeper into the sea of negativity and risk losing more of his positive friends.

When we surround ourselves with positive people and thoughts, we have a better chance of becoming more positive.

Happiness,
Dharmendra Yadav

No comments: